1. It’s OK to copy people’s work.[GIANT ASTERISK!]
2. Not everything you make should be on the internet.
3. Diversify your inspirations.
4. History is important.
5. Train your eye.
6. Just because it’s not illegal doesn’t mean it’s ethical.
7. Everybody knows everybody.
Most of the time the offenders aren’t aware of how obvious their inspiration sources are. We’re all guilty of it when we’re starting out, but hopefully this article will remind some of you to keep that practice work out of your portfolio, which will keep the angry blog commenters off your back.
Always keep practicing (and practicing, and practicing), keep looking at beautiful work, keep researching others to look up to and be inspired by. In no time you’ll be making beautiful original work of your own.
[There’s a lot more to this piece. And the issues are often complicated. But no doubt there is value in being yourself. First and foremost is… no one can be a better you than you.]
Source: Jessica Hische