- Just because you’re not a drummer, doesn’t mean you don’t have to keep time.
- Pat your foot & sing the melody in your head, when you play.
- Don’t play the piano part, i’m playing that. don’t listen to me. I’m supposed to be accompanying you!
- Don’t play everything (or every time); let some things go by. Some music just imagined. what you don’t play can be more important that what you do.
- A note can be small as a pin or as big as the world, it depends on your imagination.
- When you’re swinging, swing some more!
- You’ve got it! If you don’t want to play, tell a joke or dance, but in any case, you got it! (to a drummer who didn’t want to solo).
- Whatever you think can’t be done, somebody will come along & do it. A genius is the one most like himself.
- They tried to get me to hate white people, but someone would always come along & spoil it.
[A picked a few faces. Can’t have enough Monk. Can. Not.]